About the organisation
headspace is a world-first youth mental health initiative that supports young people who are going through a tough time; whether it’s depression, anxiety, relationship break-ups or alcohol and other drug issues. The youth-friendly services at headspace are aimed at teenagers and young adults in recognition of the fact that 75 percent of mental disorders emerge before the age of 25 years.
Orygen, The National Centre of Excellence in Youth Mental Health has been funded by headspace: the National Youth Mental Health Foundation to establish and operate four headspace centres and associated services in the North West area of Melbourne. These headspace centres improve access to services and continuity of care for young people across four core streams of service including: mental health; alcohol and other drugs (AOD); general health; and social recovery/vocational services.
Who we are looking for
Fixed term appointment - 0.6 FTE
Working within a multi-disciplinary team, the practice nurse clinician holds a key role within the headspace centre. The practice nurse will work in accordance with National Practice Standards for Nurses in General Practice 2014: be responsible for the development and delivery of, administration and clinical support in the centre(s) and Drs in Secondary Schools program (DISS).
The incumbent will be responsible for the day to day running of this new program including establishment, management of medical supplies within budget allocations, establishment of and adaptation of policies and procedures for in reach into the schools in line with PHN contract and AGPAL accreditation requirements.
For young people attending the clinic, the position will provide practice administration and integration of effective communication with school staff, GPs working within headspace and Craigieburn and outside organisations. The incumbent will directly assist in provision of sexual, reproductive health, vaccines, general health follow up as required for young people accessing the DISS program and headspace centre(s). It is also expected that the individual will provide complimentary health promotion and health education activities for young people accessing the centre and in the school setting if required.
The position will also contribute to achieving accreditation for the primary health clinical practice for headspace Craigieburn, including development of audit tools, policies and relevant documents associated with the accreditation criteria.
As a guide, remuneration of $75,000 - $85,000 (pro rata) is offered, dependent on skills and experience; generous salary sacrificing opportunities are also available to the successful candidate.
- Registered Nurse, Division 1 (unrestricted) and registered with AHPRA.
- Experience in a practice nursing role and/or work in a community health setting, preferably regarding relevant adolescent health issues, such as sexual health, mental health, AOD and other physical health conditions.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, with demonstrated ability to consult and liaise with multiple internal and external stakeholders (such as health and education professionals) to support service provision and effective clinic coordination.
- Demonstrated ability to engage in shared decision making to negotiate treatment plans with young people and their supports.
- Demonstrated knowledge of AGPAL standards for general practice.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of relevant legislation, policies and issues informing services for young people and families, including the Children, Youth and Families Act 2005, issues of consent, failure to disclose legislation and mandatory reporting requirements.
- Ability to set priorities, monitor work flows and develop best practice work standards in a fast paced environment.
- Experience in the development and facilitation of health promotion activities.
- Competence regarding information technology, medical software packages and willingness to be trained across data collection systems.
Please submit your resume, cover letter and a supporting statement that addresses the key selection criteria to email@example.com, using the subject line: Practice nurse clinician - headspace Craigieburn, followed by your ‘full name.
For further information about the role, please view position description below or alternatively, please contact Denise Poyser on 0476 600 108.
Closing date for applications: Sunday, 6 October 2019
Orygen is an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to attracting, developing and retaining our staff irrespective of gender identity, ethnicity, sexual orientation, disability and age. Applications are encouraged from all sectors of the community. We strongly encourage applications from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community.
Orygen reserves the right to close the advertisement before this date is reached. Therefore, it is encouraged that you submit your application as soon as possible.
Download the full Position Description