If you're finding it difficult to understand or discuss the issues of racism, injustice, discrimination and privilege, DocPlay have compiled a list of "ten important documentaries to watch about race instead of asking a person of colour to explain things for you."
- NAIDOC week will be held from 8-15 November, 2020. Find NAIDOC Week events on their website.
- Spotlight on the Discrimination Against Indigenous Australians in the Criminal Justice System will be held on Friday, 6 November 2020 from 12.00pm.
- A new paper from the Lowitja Institute highlights the critical role of Indigenous knowledges and methodologies. Find out more on their website.
- Wellmob provide social, emotional and cultural wellbeing online resources for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander People. Find out more on their website.
- The National NAIDOC Committee have made a decision to cancel the 2020 National NAIDOC Awards Ceremony. Read the statement on their website.
- Gayaa Dhuwi (Proud Spirit) Australia is the new Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander social and emotional wellbeing, mental health and suicide prevention national leadership body. Find out more on their website.
- The Journey Home program from Forensic Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services (CAHMS) in South Australia aims to improve the social and emotional wellbeing of young Aboriginal people who are involved with the youth justice system. In this video, the Journey Home team share their experiences of supporting young Aboriginal people with psychosis and their families.
- The Australian Indigenous Psychologists Association (AIPA) have published a statement in solidarity with #BlackLivesMatter. Read the statement on their website.
- The Australian Psychological Society have published position statement on the #BlackLivesMatter. Read the statement on their website.
- The Victorian Aboriginal Health Service have extended the operating hours of the Yarning Safe 'n' Strong crisis hotline (1800 95 95 63) to operate seven days a week, 24 hours a day.
- Why explaining racism to white Australians can be 'exhausting', Mridula Amin for ABC News. Read the article.
- The Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA) are committed to providing essential services during the COVID-19 pandemic. For more information, visit the VACCA website.
- VACCA are providing COVID-19-related information on their website.
- VACCA have launched Music with the Mob, a new online music program open to all. New episodes are released each week. Watch on Facebook or YouTube.
- Common Ground are an Aboriginal- led organisation that captures and share Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures, histories and lived experiences. Read their article on the Barunga Statement and Agreement.
- Willum Warrain's Deadly Kids youth group hosts cultural activities for Koori kids aged 8-4 years old, their siblings, parents and carers.
- In acknowledgement of Men's Health Week, the National Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Organisation (NACCHO) have published 30 years of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander male health strategies and recommendations Read them on the NACCHO website.
- Professor Marcia Langton AO was recently featured on ABC News to call for government action on racism in Australia, watch the feature below. Professor Langton is co-supervisor to Orygen's First Nations PhD students.
- Professor Langton will speak at the Festival of Dangerous Ideas on Thursday, September 10. Get tickets here.
Cave L, Shepherd CCJ, Cooper MN, Zubrick SR. Racial discrimination and the health and wellbeing of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children: Does the timing of first exposure matter?. SSM Popul Health. 2019;9:100492. Published 2019 Oct 7.
Dudgeon P, Bray A, Darlaston-Jones D, Walker R. Aboriginal Participatory action research: An Indigenous research methodology strengthening decolonisation and social and emotional wellbeing. Published 2020.
Macedo DM, Smithers LG, Roberts RM, Paradies Y, Jamieson LM. Effects of racism on the socio-emotional wellbeing of Aboriginal Australian children. Int J Equity Health. 2019;18(1):132. Published 2019 Aug 22.
Priest N, Paradies Y, Stewart P, Luke J. Racism and health among urban Aboriginal young people. BMC Public Health. 2011;11:568. Published 2011 Jul 15. doi:10.1186/1471-2458-11-568